17 February 2014

High end vs Drugstore


Dear diary,

Next up on the #2014BloggerChallenge is a discussion themed post: High end vs high street products.

This could be an endless discussion topic so I've decided to keep it quite simple and jump to the conclussion right at the beginning: in my humble opinion you could find any similar or even better products at the drugstore. Why then do I keep splurging on higher end products? Because it makes me feel special and glamourous. Stupid, you'd think? Most probably, but... I can't help myself.

image taken from Wikimedia Commons

If I had to choose a clear winner I would say the key word here is routine. In day to day life we tend to avoid routine in order to not get bored but when it has to do with skincare, following a routine morning and night will be your best friend.

I've been following a skincare routine for as long as I can remember, way back to elementary school. I'd put some regular hand cream on my face but at least it was a start. Since a very young age I intuitively avoided using regular soap to wash my face as I felt it was too drying. But it wasn't until I went to study abroad when I started cleansing my face morning and night, I was 18 at the time. I can't remember when I started using an eyecream but it must have been in my early twenties. I also found out about the importance of drinking lots of water so I made this an important part of my routine. The use of serums came in later, maybe in my late twenties but surely before I turned 30. At 30 I was already worried about fine lines and switched over to some richer and nourishing formulas. At 41 I'm gravitating towards anti-ageing treatments that target wrinkles, firmness and dark spots. A high SPF is, of course, a must.

I suppose genetic inheritance plays a great role in the way your skin evolves and changes throughout the years and there's nothing you could do to change that. Instead of cursing your genetics make an effort and focus on the things you can actually change. It may not give you instant gratification but if you do it consistently you'll reap the benefits in the long term.

For the love of sharing,